150 pts Ratmen vs Barbarians

Post your Battle Reports here
Gabz

150 pts Ratmen vs Barbarians

Post by Gabz »

as I was concentrating on learning the rules I did not really get enough photos to do a proper youtube batrep but I will give you a quick summary and some photos of this first game.
Attachments
overall pic of battlefield after a couple of turns.jpg
Gabz

Re: 150 pts Ratmen vs Barbarians

Post by Gabz »

The Ratmen had two units of fliers vs the Barbarians' one unit of fliers so had the choice of deploying 1st or 2nd. they chose to deploy 1st with a strong artillery position on their hills , protected by 2 mixed ratguard musket/halberdiers and 2 small rat hordes. they had their balloons and armoured cars on the left flank and vultures on the right flank.
The Barbarian starting position was broken up by some woodlands but they made the best of it. They had 2 units of archers , 2 big hordes ,chariots and their catapults in the centre , birdmen on their left flank and a strong mounted right flank of mammoths , bison riders and cavalry.
the Barbarians moved first . their birdmen caught the vultures on the hop and flew over to attack them. the infantry advanced slowly in the centre. their cavalry worked around the woods to their right.
Attachments
birdmen fly straight over to attack the vultures on ratmen's right flank....jpg
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

the Rat Batteries did some damage to the Barbarian hordes and archers in the centre and throughout the game , kept suppressing them and causing them to fall back , which in turn made the units behind pushed back and disordered...
Attachments
barbarian archers flee losing a base.jpg
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

Both sides' Wizards successfully summoned Fire Elementals during the game. the Barbarian elemental was cast next to the right flank RatGuard and killed the General with them and caused them to fall back but did not harm the humble Rat Horde which was also adjacent to it...
Attachments
fire elemental causes ratguard to recoil and kills a rat hero but rat horde survive intact !.jpg
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

while the Ratmen Wizard was close enough to summon his Fire Elemental right on top of the Barbarian Chariots , crispy fried Rhinos anyone ?
if I remember right this also hurt an adjacent Barbarian unit and caused them to fall back ..
Attachments
a lucky bit of summoning by the ratmen wizard....jpg
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

the decisive hand to hand fighting happened on the Ratmen left flank , as the balloons and armoured cars went forth to engage the Barbarian cavalry ...they came off much worse and were routed...
Attachments
bison riders win combat with the armoured cars.jpg
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

the birdmen initially disrupted the vultures , then destroyed them in their second round of combat.the right flank ratguards then shot at them but could only cause disruption to them.
Attachments
birdmen destroy the vultures.jpg
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

then the Ratman Wizard got killed , so they only had their Hero General left , who desperately tried to rally his surrounded and depleted army and got one of the Rat Hordes to attack the Mammoths - this was not a great idea and they got completely trampled...
Attachments
mammoths trample a rat horde.jpg
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

The Ratmen had now lost half of their bases so the field was won by the Barbarians. I was really expecting the Ratmen to win so it was a bit of a shock. I did not get a photo of the end of the game unfortunately but this was taken before the Rat Horde's ill fated attack on the Mammoths...
overall the game flowed well and was great fun. I misused the balloons which should have done bomb attacks rather than get into hand to hand combat...
Attachments
not looking too good for the ratmen !.jpg
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

Great battle report, and a good win by the Bars! I thought the Rats might of had the upper hand, especially with the balloon bombers! I've just had 3 games of H&H Medieval against Dane- Tuetonics v Samouri. I won one, lost two. I'll post a battle report soon.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk