The Battle of Long Ridge- Orcs versus High Elves

Post your Battle Reports here
Ratty

The Battle of Long Ridge- Orcs versus High Elves

Post by Ratty »

With the victorious orc army seizing Holden Pass (See the Battle of Holden Pass battle report), the settlements and resources of the Long Ridge lay open to them. They swept along the high ground, looting and pillaging.
Their speedy advance saw them eventually entering the territory of the High Elves. The border of these lands were marked by a waterfall- the Yoke Falls. This watercourse spills off the ridgeline and flows away to the south. The course, if followed, eventually leads near to the settlement of Caerfen, the site of a great elven victory over the orcs. It was perhaps this goal that the orcs were eventually intending to head towards, but first there was the problem of overcoming the local elf nobles and their army- an army which had assembled swiftly after news of the Battle of Holden Pass spread. The two forces met on Long Ridge, with the Yoke falls between them. Would the elves halt the orcish war machine from surging across their borders, or would the orcs smash aside this latest obstacle and continue their march to Caerfen? The scene was set.
Table overview with the Yoke Falls in the foreground
Table overview with the Yoke Falls in the foreground
Long Ridge
Long Ridge
Yoke Falls
Yoke Falls
The Orc Horde (Commanded by myself)
6 horde units (arranged into 4 blocks of 6 stands)
6 units of mountain orc heavy infantry
4 orc archer units
2 units of ballistae
2 units of orc flyers
2 units of giants
4 wolf rider units
3 units of heavy chariots
Ably led by 5 orc generals and 1 hero general
Total: 360 points. Totalling 115 stands- breakpoint of 58
The orcs deployed on the western edge of the board. I placed all of my cavalry on the left flank, with the heavy chariots gathering on the road, ready to surge forward to form the front rank due to their better armour protection from the dreaded elf arrows. The massed cavalry were to drive forward, take the flank and then attempt to encircle the elven force and attack them from the rear- well that was the plan anyway. I placed a unit of flyers to support them.
The massed orc cavalry mustering on the left flank
The massed orc cavalry mustering on the left flank
The centre was on top of Long Ridge. A unit of ballistae, with 2 archer units to protect it, was placed here to move forward as far as possible and then establish a position to dissuade any elven attackers advancing through the centre. A formation such as this had wreaked havoc amongst the barbarian hordes during the Battle of Holden Pass, and I hoped to replicate this success, although against the elves I was not so sure they would be as effective. Heavy infantry, hordes, a unit of flyers and giants were massed here also, along with 2 generals and the hero general. This powerful force would push up along the ridge and support the cavalry advance on the left, capturing the scattered farmsteads as they went and using them to anchor the line during the attack.
The formidable orc force taking position on Long Ridge itself
The formidable orc force taking position on Long Ridge itself
Ratty

Re: The Battle of Long Ridge- Orcs versus High Elves

Post by Ratty »

The right flank- facing the river and bridge spanning it- was held by the remaining archers, ballistae, 2 units of mountain orcs and a single orc horde unit, led by a single general. My plan for this flank was to push the missile troops forward, with the artillery in support, until they were in range of the river and then deny this as a crossing point for the elves. The infantry would help with this holding action.
The river defence force
The river defence force
With the orc forces ready, I waited to see how they elves would counter this threat.

The Elven Host (led by Mark)
6 units of archers
6 units of spearmen
2 units of chariots
2 units of horse archers
4 heavy cavalry units
2 units of Treemen (please note these units each have 2 stands, but are represented on the table with only a single Treeman figure- only got 1 unit painted so far)
2 bolt shooter units
Led by 5 (Yes, 5!!) elven generals. I had been hoping to have a distinct advantage over the elves with numbers of generals- as, with a move and command value of 4, the elves often have fewer generals- but Mark really did come prepared to pack a punch during the battle with his abundance of leadership.
Total: 360 points. Totalling 95 stands- breakpoint of 48

With war horns blaring, the elves entered the field (although I had the most- and only- flyers, I elected to set up first and chose the table edge which had more open terrain, to accommodate my massive force, this gave Mark the first turn). The elven cavalry was split between each flank. The deadly horse archers, 1 unit of chariots and 1 heavy cavalry unit faced my cavalry (I dreaded this, as the elusive missile cavalry of the elves could potentially pick apart my chariots and wolf riders and seriously weaken my attack). Some archers and spearmen also supported this force.
Massed elven horse archers and chariots- these could seriously spoil the orc cavalrys day
Massed elven horse archers and chariots- these could seriously spoil the orc cavalrys day
The left flank consisted of 3 units of heavy cavalry, a unit of chariots and again some infantry support. A fast, hard hitting force, that Mark hoped to use to seize the river, and threaten my advance in the centre. I was looking forward to him trying in the face of my artillery and archers who would be guarding this route (cue evil laugh- Mwah ha ha ha!)
The elves gather to challenge for posession of the river crossing
The elves gather to challenge for posession of the river crossing
The ridge itself was held by massed elven infantry, Treemen and artillery. Mark placed 2 generals on each flank, and only 1 general to command the centre. This seemed to indicate he was going to adopt a more defensive stance on the ridge, relying on his devastating missile superiority to obliterate any orcs foolish enough to charge along the ridge- the elves obviously didn’t realise that the orc centre was packed full of fools willing to take this challenge!
Elves arrayed on Long Ridge
Elves arrayed on Long Ridge
Overview of both armies deployment
Overview of both armies deployment
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

Elf chariots view the bridge in the distance
Elf chariots view the bridge in the distance
With a roar of defiance in the face of the orc threat, the elves swept forward. Let battle commence!

As expected, the elven horse archers raced towards my mounted units, and formed a line in anticipation of my advance. The infantry followed behind more cautiously, looking for a suitable area to establish a firing line.
The horse archers gallop forward, with infantry support advancing behind
The horse archers gallop forward, with infantry support advancing behind
The centre also moved up, but at a slow pace dictated by the artillery and Treemen.
The Treemen march out
The Treemen march out
However, the surprise came on the elven left flank. The cavalry here pounded forward, surging over the bridge, and into the river- leaving the infantry far behind.
The elves pour across the bridge
The elves pour across the bridge
Overview of the elven advance
Overview of the elven advance
Could the elves really be so brash as to think to launch an attack so soon without support? Surely the orc artillery would discourage such a move…
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

The orc opening move saw the right flank form into a defensive line, in the face of the threat crossing the river, with the artillery being given Hold Fire orders in anticipation of firing during the High Elf turn. More infantry came off the ridge to support them, along with the orc hero general, and the woods became a seething mass of greenskins hoping to ambush the elven cavalry.
The orc line forms up, whilst the artillery is given Hold Fire orders
The orc line forms up, whilst the artillery is given Hold Fire orders
The orc archers sight the cavalry in the distance
The orc archers sight the cavalry in the distance
The centre pushed forward rapidly, passing the first farmstead and moving with intent to capture the next.
The orc centre moves forward. Note the infantry on the right slope of the ridge beginning to redeploy to bolster the river defence
The orc centre moves forward. Note the infantry on the right slope of the ridge beginning to redeploy to bolster the river defence
The orc cavalry force, showing remarkable restraint, advanced with caution, remaining out of range of the elven horse archers. I was going to force the elves to advance within range if they wanted to take pot shots, not go chasing them and allowing them to whittle my troops away in a futile pursuit.
The disciplined cavalry advance in line
The disciplined cavalry advance in line
Overview of the end of the first turn. Will the elves continue the push across the river, or wait for the infantry to catch up?
Overview of the end of the first turn. Will the elves continue the push across the river, or wait for the infantry to catch up?
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

The High Elf second turn opened with the horse archers not being tempted to attack, they pulled back to form up with the chariots behind them. The threat of the encroaching orc cavalry seemed to be working in my favour… for now.
The horse archers move back
The horse archers move back
The elves pushing along the ridge continued their slow advance with the artillery and Treemen. The artillery were now in range of the second farmstead- the orcs next destination.
The centre continues on
The centre continues on
At the river the elf cavalry halted to await their infantry- or that is at least what I had expected Mark would do, instead he dashed my hopes. The infantry did indeed move up to the river, but two units of elven heavy cavalry- one in column due to the distance of charge- came roaring into my archers protecting the ballistae!
The elven infantry hurries to reach the river...
The elven infantry hurries to reach the river...
...but the cavalry doesn't wait, and smashes into the orc line
...but the cavalry doesn't wait, and smashes into the orc line
Now was the time to unleash my vicious ballistae barrage and arrow storm. The effectiveness of my strategy relied on focusing all of my fire against one unit- however the only unit I could do this to was the cavalry in column (the lesser threat), so I decided to gamble and split my fire to attempt to drive off both. The orcs succeeded in driving back the unit in column, which fell back to the remaining elf cavalry moving up as a second wave, but the heavy cavalry in line came through unscathed and smashed into a unit of archers. The archers were driven back disrupted with the loss of a stand. However, the danger was the elf cavalry were now in the midst of my missile units with no hope of immediate reinforcement to save the orc artillery.
The heavy cavalry storm into the midst of the orc missile force
The heavy cavalry storm into the midst of the orc missile force
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

The orcs responded, as orcs do, with 3 units of infantry surging out of the woodland (I placed the hero general with the horde unit in the centre to bolster all of the attacking units), and mountain orcs clambering through the ruins beside the river, to engage the elf cavalry in the second wave.
A weak volley of arrows from the elf infantry across the river had no effect (Mark was paying for moving his troops up in column, halving their attacks, and I was feeling very confident I could reclaim the initiative on the flank). In the face of the onslaught, the elf chariots fled back to safety, leaving a unit of elven heavy cavalry, with a general, to face the enraged orc infantry.
The orc infantry attack, and the chariots flee in the face of overwhelming force
The orc infantry attack, and the chariots flee in the face of overwhelming force
The elves were massacred, and a unit of mountain orcs pushed into the heavy cavalry still in column- things were looking good for the orcs!
The elf general is swept away
The elf general is swept away
However, moments later, the elven cavalry rampaging through the orc missile troops, slaughtered both units of archers and the artillery in one fell swoop! The orcs watched, dumbfounded, as the unit of heavy cavalry was now free to come to the support of their brethren. My plan of holding the river with my powerful artillery and archers was in tatters.
The flank looking bare with the destruction of the orc archers and artillery
The flank looking bare with the destruction of the orc archers and artillery
I still had plenty of infantry on hand, with more available to move down from the ridge if needed. Plus the woodland, if I could fall back to it, should always favour my infantry in repelling the elf cavalry. My flank was battered but I was not yet overly concerned.
On the orc left flank and centre, the steady advance continued, with a solid line being formed to discourage any foolish elf attacks similar to the one seen at the river.
The orc heavy cavalry continue to force the elven horse archers back on the left flank
The orc heavy cavalry continue to force the elven horse archers back on the left flank
The orc centre approaches the second farmstead on the ridge
The orc centre approaches the second farmstead on the ridge
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

Mark’s next turn saw him continue to fall back with the horse archers and chariots on the elven right flank (I decided it was through fear of my stunning cavalry, and not to draw us towards his infantry support and massed archers… yes, definitely… maybe…).
The orcs watch as the elven cavalry continue their apparent retreat
The orcs watch as the elven cavalry continue their apparent retreat
The elf artillery was placed under Hold Fire, and the Treemen and supporting infantry continued to advance.
View along the elf centre and right flank
View along the elf centre and right flank
The battle for control of the flank near to the river continued. The triumphant elf cavalry, which had despatched the orc missile troops, now joined in to attack the orc infantry, Mark had also moved his remaining general on this flank to join them.
Mountain orcs face the wrath of the cavalry
Mountain orcs face the wrath of the cavalry
To make matters worse for the orcs, the elf archers at the river formed up alongside the chariots and levelled their bows at the Mountain Orcs in the ruins. The resultant arrow storm wiped out the heavy infantry (OUCH! I had hoped the protection afforded by the ruins would protect them from the worst of the arrows- I was proved wrong). Note: Some of you eagle eyed readers may note that some of the elves were in the river which would normally mean Disrupted status due to terrain. However, as a House Rule, the river sections marked with the brown scatter counts as a shallower stretch- units must still stop on entry but fight and fire as normal. A unit on the bank fighting a unit in the shallower water would only gain a +1 advantage).
Elf archers prepare to fire
Elf archers prepare to fire
In the combat phase, the heavy cavalry took a single stand off the unit of Mountain orcs (a poor roll for the elves saved the orcs from greater damage), disrupted them, and forced them to flee back into the woods- straight through the orc hero general and his horde unit, disrupting them as well. The elven general with his triumphant riders followed up into them.
The orcs are driven back, but the elf cavalry have been drawn towards the woods
The orcs are driven back, but the elf cavalry have been drawn towards the woods
Things were not going well for the orcs, but perhaps there was hope in that the elven cavalry were about to become entangled in woodland fighting.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Nice story board. Are the Elven cavalry that strong or did some of that devastating attack come from good dice rolls?
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

Hi Norm,
A mixture of both. The elven cavalry are powerful in attack- but a well formed line of quality infantry will stand a good chance to see them off or stall them. The attack on my archers and artillery was devastating in that the archers are poor in combat, the artillery even worse, and to add to the problem one of the units was disrupted - not a good situation.
As for dice rolls, this was a game where both Mark and myself had our fair share of terrible rolls, but overall it balanced out as this was a larger game. On balance, I lost my missile troops because I overestimated their level of threat to the elves, and they simply took the gamble to attack early and it paid off,
Best wishes.
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

My next turn saw my centre and left flank continuing to march inexorably forward. The second farmstead on Long Ridge was occupied, orc flyers joined the line and the massed orc cavalry were noticeably gathering for an imminent charge. The pressure on the elves was increasing in the face of this advance. They were running out of room to manoeuvre, something had to give soon- who would be the first to crack and commit their force.
The pressure mounts...
The pressure mounts...
The battle around the woods and the river was well and truly raging. I had to reinforce the line quickly or risk the elves surging through the woods and attacking my centre. The orc generals on the ridge committed a unit of giants to help the beleaguered forces, but they were going to take a couple of turns to get into position.
The battle near to the Yoke Falls
The battle near to the Yoke Falls
The giants move to support the flank
The giants move to support the flank
My immediate problem was I had somehow managed to get both generals on the flank caught up in the same combat (only 1 general can add their influence to a single combat- so 1 was being wasted here), also both units they were attached to were disrupted- so they could not issue any further orders or leave the units until they could remove the disruption. Aaaaah! A huge mess, which of course I blamed Mark for as it obviously had nothing to do with some dodgy decision making on my part- perish the thought!
The orc horde at the edge of the wood threw themselves against the second unit of heavy cavalry in the hope of entangling them in combat long enough to allow the orcs in the wood to somehow improve the situation without the threat of these intervening. They succeeded in holding the elves in place, but were disrupted in the process.
The orc horde attempt to delay the elf cavalry
The orc horde attempt to delay the elf cavalry
The combat in the wood resulted in the orcs being forced to recoil and both units lost a stand, with the orc hero general and his horde pushed further along the banks of the Yoke Falls. The elves followed up again- now deep into the shadowy woods, and ran into my next line of defence, a fresh unit of Mountain Orcs. It looked like the elf general and his rampaging knights had at last sealed their own doom.
The end of the orc turn
The end of the orc turn